Monday, July 25, 2011

The Yellow Box Handmade Flower

Welcome back for Yellow Box week. I am so excited to get the box together this week and get it sent off...are you going to play along?  So what is The Yellow Box, you may ask?

A few years ago (read 2004) I was reading my new Martha Stewart Living..and came across this idea:
A baby shower in a box around a theme:
She showed a color themed box and a hometown box (everything is from or reminds them of their "hometown")

At that moment I had this idea (yes, in 2004).  Why only use this idea for a baby shower?   I thought how fun it would be to surprise a friend who lives close or far away with a box of random yellow things (and you can make it any color...their favorite,etc.) to let them know you were thinking about them and miss them!

Thus,

So this whole week, I will be showing tutorials, wrapping ideas, etc. to get my box ready and to help give you ideas for a box of your own! Remember, you can make this box as little or as big as you want..just make it personal and add some homemade items (because aren't they the best anyways!) Friday, I started out by showing you some Yellow Box Cards.

Today we will be making...

The Yellow Box Handmade Flower.

These are super fun and super fast to put together for any occasion, but with 3 little girls, I thought this might be a perfect touch to my friends box!

To make you will need:

any color synthetic fabric in a 2"x 36" strip (this is approx. you may need longer or shorter depending how big you want the flower!)
sewing machine
felt (for leaves and circle for bottom of flower)
contrasting thread for leaves
hot glue
clips/brooch pins
and


Make the flower according to these instructions minus the extra piece of tulle.  Embellish the center with something fun.  Cut 4 layers of leaves out (2 for each leaf).  Sew around the outside of the leaf. At bottom of leaf, sew a line up and sew vein lines by using your backwards stitch. (You can do this however it is easiest for you!)  Glue leaves on and then finish the flower by gluing a hair clip and/or brooch clips on the back (I did both...I find it so nice to have that option!). YOU ARE DONE!


These really are vesatile and make a fun gift at a baby shower, as a present topper, or just really fun to whip up to wear yourself or for your little girl!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  If you are playing along this week, I'd love to see the box you are creating! Email me a picture at kikicreates at gmail dot com. 

9 comments:

Monique Lula said...

Gorgeous creamy yellow roses! This is such a cute idea. Baby showers especially can be so... generic? Something different is always good!

Lianne @ Lulabelle {a lifestyle blog} said...

So pretty! These are great ideas for my little girl on the way!

Thanks for sharing!

Lianne at
wwww.thestewartestate.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Kiki, we need a playdate so you can teach me how to sew!! Totally serious, you have mad skills my friend!!

kisses
heather

Fox and Sparrows said...

I love this idea! I am going to find someone to send a special package to ASAP!

Ricochet said...

Love this gorgeous flower! I'm definitely going to "pinterest" this and try to make one for the next purse I sew.
Best,
Rikka J.
Ricochet and Away!

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Beautiful!! I can't wait to try this!!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

I so need to try this! They look really fabulous!

Katie said...

This looks so lovely :)

I have featured it and linked to you on my blog post here;

http://katiescreative.blogspot.com/2011/08/pretty-is-pest.html

www.katiescreative.blogspot.com

x

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to make this for my daughters birthday package. Then she can take it and wear it on a cardigan. Thanks for sharing! LOVE IT!!!!!!