Monday, February 14, 2011

Headboard Tutorial


I was asked over and over again how I made my headboard in my room. It really was a fairly quick and painless activity..one my husband and I whipped up in less than a night, and which makes a HUGE impact in our room.

I am not a technical woodworker. I don't know all the little nitty gritty things. I sketched this out for my husband..he took a few measurements and we were on our way, but what we ended up with is really a sturdy, good-looking piece.  Here we go:
What we used..
2x4..we picked up 2- 8 foot boards
2x3- two 8 foot boards
crown molding- choose whatever crown molding you like ..a 70 inch piece worked great for us.
screws- 1 3/4 "
finishing nails (or just use a finish nailer)
putty
spray paint
shutters...we used 4 for our queen size bed

Here were our shutters before:


Instructions.

Instead of giving you measurements..I will tell you how we did this as I am sure all beds are different and your shutters my vary in size from mine.

1- Measurements we took:
*width of bed...ours was 58 1/2..laying all four shutters out was 59 1/8. perfect.
*height from floor to top of mattress.

2.  Cut 2x4's to make frame:

3. Make 4 pocket hole joints diagnally from inside boards to outside boards..we predrilled, then screwed each of these in...see illustration: see THIS website for more information on how to make a pocket hole joint


4. Next we laid out the shutters just like we wanted them and then flipped the shutters and frame over..make sure you face them all the same way!

So the front looked like this:
and here is the back:
5. We used 1 3/4" screws to screw the frame and shutters together. They are sturdy!
see illustration to where we put them in:
5.Cut your crown molding. You can cut it just like a picture frame at a 90 degree angle..I chose to make mine more upright with straight cuts. We cut one front piece and 2 side pieces so it lays flat against the wall.

6. Attach the crown molding with finishing nails. see illustration.  Putty the holes, sandpaper it down and you are ready for paint!

7.  Paint- we used a flat black spray paint (flat paint tends to hide imperfections) and found it covered really well.

If you want to attach the headboard to your bed, you just need to measure where your bed frame has the holes to attach it..drill the holes and used nuts and bolts to attach them.


and the real deal:

Have fun building your own headboard!

If you liked this post...become a follower so you don't miss out on anything!

32 comments:

seven thirty three said...

Where did you find your shutters? I have been searching high and low for the last three months because I have wanted to do something similar for my new king bed, but to no avail! I've checked the local Goodwill, Craigslist and salvage store... I think I just need to keep plugging away until I come across some!

Your headboard is GORGEOUS!

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Adore, ADORE the headboard. And the spread. . . wow. You know what I'm thinking? The limit of 3 pictures on CWTS is sooooo unfair. The headboard is to die for!

Julie said...

Thank you! I am itching to make this (and the duvet cover!)

Anonymous said...

How clever...I have been wanting to make a headboard for my bed for ages now but had never even entertained the idea of using shutters....hmmm might have to go to the salvage yard :)

Unknown said...

I just made a "fake" headboard and wow yours blows mine out of the water! I am a brand new follower and I am so glad I found your blog, I am already in love! Have a fantastic Valentine's Day and I look forward to continue reading.


www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

Margrét said...

You are so talented! Thank´s for share your talent out to the world.

kind regards
Margrét from Iceland

www.allturengu.blogspot.com

Hopeless Chest said...

Hi!!!

I just saw this project featured on Smile & Wave and I had to come and check out your blog. I LOVE these photos.

The finished headboard looks fantastic and I really like the pops of colour on the bed.

Jessi said...

we are re-do our bedroom right now - and I think this might be our headboard solution! I love it!

abi porter said...

this is amazing! i suddenly feel the need to look for shutters

Unknown said...

I have about a dozen of these that i was going to give away.... I'm thinking again now. This is fabulous!!!
Px

letter A studio said...

I saw that Rachel included you in her feature on Smile & Wave. I love your blog & definitely want to give the headboard a try. Thanks for the tutorial!

Megan said...

this looks great! I love a good headboard.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Amy / MoMomma said...

Amazingly cute! We have been looking for a headboard for our room, now I just need to talk hubby into making it!

Anonymous said...

I would love to feature this on my blog Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. It is awesome!

http://reuseandupcycle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am so in love with this headboard. Thank you for sharing such a great idea! I reposted your pic on my blog: www.writingthislife.com and, am definitely making the headboard soon! Thank you!

Unknown said...

wow!this is great!

A Blissful Nest said...

Love your DIY and wondering where the pillows are from??

kiki comin said...

Thanks for the sweet comments. The pillows I actually made. I will be doing a tutorial on a few of them coming up soon. Any certain ones you want to learn how to make?

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
andriani retno said...

ohh so creative... i love that

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

Great tutorial! I also just made a headboard from shutter:-)

Girlinair.blogspot.com

Megan said...

I want to learn how to make all of those pillows!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

The headboard looks amazing! I really also love the pillows.

Krystle dH said...

Wow! You are very talented, love all the stuff you make. I am just wondering where you found your shutters, if you found them at a garage sale or if you bought them from a store?
Thanks

Wisteria said...

I understand using the 2x4's for the frame, but what are the 2x3's used for?

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really happy to find this. cool job!

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to make a headboard for a long time. I was fortunate that a friend introduced me to this website. I found wood louver shutters through Craigslist for $10 a pair. I bought two pair. My father is a master craftsman at Furnitureland South and is eager to help me make this BEAUTIFUL and simple headboard.

Amy in Bama said...

I saw that Wisteria asked this question....but no answer back. What are the 2x3's used for? My husband is making this Saturday and he is just driving me crazy about it! I think it will have something to do with a backing for the mouldings to hang on to....but only you really know....dish!

kiki comin said...

Hi Amy in Bama, I hope that was a sweet way of asking me to answer your question! Yes, the 2x3's are used to form the frame for the shutters to be screwed into. The 2x3's are the pieces on the top and bottom of the shutters. Hope that helped. Thanks.

Amy in Bama said...

I saw ur answer as I stand here in Lowe's w your tutorial on my smart phone. THANK YOU!!!! And btw...I lurk ur blog constantly when I need my next great idea. Keep 'em coming!! May ur hammer always land on the head of your metal nail and your fleshly nail remain unharmed! Hugs from God's Country! Amy

Anonymous said...

Where did you find these shutters?

Ray said...

Seriously, where did you get those shutters?