Thursday, September 15, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup {recipe}

Bittersweet October.  The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter.  ~Carol Bishop Hipps


I LOVE THE FALL!  There is something about the crisp air that just makes me smile :)  Not to mention how much fun the entire fall season is with many fun things to do:  pumpkin patches, watching the leaves turn beautiful colors, apple picking, hayrides, football games, picking out Halloween costumes, jumping in the leaves, drinking apple cider, the corn mazes, haunted houses, carving pumpkins, busting out the warmer wardrobe, and bringing back the "fall-time" recipes.  I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself!


Today I wanted to share one of my favorite pre-trick-or-treating meals.  I love eating a yummy soup or chili before heading out into the cold with the kiddos.  This one I like because it is good for you as well as really yummy!  Rather than the traditional chili with ground beef, this one uses chicken.  To top it off, a subtle flavor of ranch that sets it apart from other taco soups I have had in the past.  It's definitely a winner!  There are 2 bonuses to this recipe as well....


1) The crockpot is used, a definite time saver so there's no rushing to get dinner before the kiddos head out, and...


2) All you have to do is dump everything in the crockpot, no draining or rinsing of anything.  The hardest part is opening the cans!






Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
(recipe from my Aunt)


2 15oz cans dice tomatoes
1 15-¼ oz can Corn with juice
1 15oz can Black beans with juice
1 15 ½ oz can Red Kidney beans with juice
1 15 ½ oz can Pinto beans with juice
1 envelope dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 envelope dry Taco Seasoning
½ cup Salsa
¼ cup Green Pepper (optional)
1 tsp Lime Juice
2 large cans (13oz) chicken with juice. (Break apart pieces)


Add all ingredients into crock-pot, stir. Cook low for 4-6 hours


Serve with Tortilla chips, sour cream and shredded cheese.  Enjoy!


Happy cooking and wishing you a wonderful fall season :)
~Britni


If you haven't been by Britni's blog MY RECIPE BOX..drop by..I just saw this recipe for White Chocolate Frito Popcorn. I don't know who thought about putting fritos and white chocolate together, but it sounds and looks SO delicious...

2 comments:

Katy said...

Oh my goodness - I thought I was the only one to stumble on the white chocolate-Frito discovery! A few months ago I grabbed a small handful of white chocolate chips, and then, because I was feeling particularly glutenous, grabbed a few Frito chips from a bag sitting there. I had it all in my mouth at the same time and it was pretty darn glorious. Then I made my husband try the combination!

I will have to check out that recipe for sure!

bdaiss said...

Huh, never heard of chocolate and fritos, but who am I to argue about combining two of my favorite snakcs?

In the mean (meal?) time, I must have this soup. This weekend. Thanks for the recip!