Friday, January 14, 2011

puppet, puppets, puppets!

One thing my kids come back to time and again are puppets. They love them. And I love making them for them.  Over time, we have made little finger puppets up to huge hand puppets and each one is played with and used over and over again, so it definitely makes it worth the time it take to make them! I love that they make for hours of CREATIVE IMAGINATIVE fun.

Today we had a playdate with a friend and decided to make the two boys (who are both Star Wars lovers) a few puppets.

This was my starting base. A quick and simple free hand cut and quickly sewed together base. One I sewed right on top, the other I sewed right sides together and turned right side out. Both worked great.


and they turned into this:

a little Obi Wan and Darth Vader love.

Darth sported his helmet and shiny eyes (made from a clear vinyl over black felt) and all his detailing was with felt and buttons.

I love how his mask turned out.:)

And then we have Obi Wan Kenobi..protector of the light side.

Loving his detailing..made of felt, leather, fake leather, and a little stitching.

He really is kind of serious about his job.


So there we have it. Hours of fun play ahead with two simple puppets.


My youngest son is in preschool as well and as part of the learning, we make a puppet for the letter they are working on each week.  I teach with one other mom..and a few of these are hers..but they have been so fun for all of my kids to play with..

You can really make them with so much personality...

But of course the best is when they are child approved!

linked to:

10 comments:

A @Let's take a coffee break said...

Those puppets are super cute! Cute blog too :) I saw you on Tatertots and Jello! I'm a new follower.

-Angelica

Hilary said...

Oh kiki, i love how you said you didn't know how to make puppets-right...these are SOOOO cute!

Alayna said...

My son is a HUGE Star Wars fan! I have everything to make them, too! How cute would a Yoda be? Or a Chewy with that fake fur stuff? I am going to make these for my son for his birthday in a few weeks. And by the way, you did and AWESOME job making them!

Ashley M said...

Hey Kiki! These are so fun! I'm totally inspired.

Megan said...

oh my gosh, those are too cute! I love all the details!

Melinda said...

wow, these our so cute. The boys are so lucky to have such a creative mom.

Crystal said...

AWESOME!!!! my husband would get a kick out of these! You are one talented lady!

Frugal Chic Living said...

Darling! My boys would love these!

Anna said...

Those are so awesome! I can't get over it. I bet Lincoln and Peyton will have hours of fun together with them. Thanks again. And Kylie said it's Booker's birthday (maybe she said that the other day, can't remember). But happy birthday Booker! :)

Unknown said...

Kiki, I WANT THOSE! these little puppets are adorable and Cohen would be the happiest kid on earth with them. maybe i'll give it a shot but your crafty skills are WAY above my own. xo