Tuesday, April 26, 2011

vintage rose wrap knock-off belt

Here is the post I had over at Kojo Designs last week, just in case you missed it.  I also ended up using one of these in my little girls Easter dress!  They are so easy, fun and QUICK to make! 

Have I ever told you that I love a good knock-off?! Let me tell you why. #1-I AM CHEAP!  and  #2-My parents nailed it into my head A LONG TIME AGO that I could do anything I wanted to if I tried.   Add #1 and #2 together and it can be disastrous at times, but when it works...it is rewarding enough for the next 10 failures...do you know what I mean?  I love being inspired by amazing designers of all kinds...yes, I love a good Anthropologie piece, but isn't it awesome that we can look everywhere..at any kind of store and get inspired by pieces in it?!  Today I went off the Big Box store beaten path and went to a smaller company I am sure you have all heard of:

I LOVE Vintage Rose Wraps!  I love the look of them..I love how flat they lay on your head...I love the subtle flower without it being too overdone. They are beautiful.  There is one person in my house that will not wear a headband though..and yes, that would be my daughter (thank heavens it is not my sons!).

Anything that binds around her head is immediately taken off for the day.  I do love the look of the wraps so much though, I thought...why not make them into an accessory that she WILL wear. And I found it:

It's a perfect little addition to a plain little outfit to give it a little pizzaz...and the best part..she leaves it on.


I made 3 of these belts in just under one hour...so it is definitely a simple and versatile accessory to whip up!  Let's get started.  To begin you will need:
a measurement of your child's waist (depending where you want the belt to wrap)- I then added about 3 1/2 inches to that for the overlap.
fabric
thread
coordinating fabrics for the flower and leaves
sew-on velcro
sewing machine

The directions:
1- Decide how thick you want your belt to be...I made one that is about 2" thick up to one that is 3" thick.  Cut two strips 2"(or how ever wide you want your belt plus the seam allowance) by the length you figured out above (your child's waist measurement plus 3 1/2-4 inches for overlap)  Place fabric right sides together and sew 3 sides. 
2-Cut angles at corners to get rid of bulk
3-Turn fabric right side out. Iron.  Pull unsewn edges inside (about 1/4") and pin.
4- Sew all the way around the belt with the same amount of seam allowance on each side
5- At this point I pinned my belt together where it would overlap so I could figure out my flower placement.  Draw a circle on the fabric where you want your flower to be..this will be your guide as you sew your flower on.
6-Iron a 1" by 24" (to be on the safe side) piece of fabric in half (wrong sides together). Sew down the raw edge. You can finish it as well...I didn't, but knew I would be hiding all of those edges by sewing over them.  Start your flower by laying the strip down with the folded side to the outside of the circle.  Start sewing the strip around the circle..it is okay to have it fold over to get the shape of the circle (plus it adds to the fullness of the flower!). Keep overlapping a little as you go around and around closer to the center of the flower. To end the flower, simply cut off any excess fabric and fold in the edges (just like you did on the belt so there are no raw edges out).  Fold it and sew through the middle of it. 
7- To make the leaves, simply cut out two leaf shapes, and then individually sew just to the inside of the leaf's edge and then make veins by using the machine as well.(see picture 8) Sew the leaves on next to your flower.
9- Cut two pieces of velcro to fit the overlap and sew them in the middle of the ends of your belt
10-YOU ARE DONE! Enjoy your sweet new accessory..for your child (or even yourself!)
A few details:
I love using that faux leather for the leaves..it gives it just a bit of sophistication!

And there you have it...a sweet, easy and stylish fix to any plain outfit needing just a bit of whimsy and fun!
Thanks for stopping by.

 If you ever make anything inspired by one of my posts, I'd love to see it! Email me at kikicreates at gmail dot com.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are darling Kiki. I can't wait to see what a creative little cat Maizie grows up to be with you as her mom.

Anuska said...

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MateiTaina said...

nice blog page!

makana hansen said...

you are so on the same page as me Kiki! This is going to be filed in my to-do list for when pre-school lets out! Thank you!

Jill said...

stinkin cute...and you've inspired me plenty! i just havent' gotten around to making anything yet.
oh, and I know Katie who started vintage wraps. super sweetie.

Karina Arshad, Kaza Design, LLC. said...

Adorable!!! It makes me want to have a waist to make one for myself!!! haha.